The Fuji School


This is from Wikipedia:
After his involvement with the founding of Taisekiji, Nikkō named his disciple Nichimoku (1260–1333) as his successor and retired a few miles away to Omosu, where he founded a seminary and concentrated on training disciples until his passing in the second lunar month of 1333 at the age of 87.Nikko (priest) From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
And this from the now out dated English version of the Soka Gakkai Dictionary:
Omosu Seminary: A seminary that Nikko, Nichiren’s successor, established in Omosu Village of Fuji District, Suruga Province, Japan, 1298. … In 1483 the seminary severed its ties with Taiseki-ji and became affiliated with Koizumi Kuon-ji* temple, the origin of which was the dwelling inhabited by Nichigo during his dispute over the possession of part of Taiseki-ji with its fourth chief priest, Nichido. In 1515 it was renamed Hommon-ji and returned to the Nikko school (based at Taiseki-ji). In 1899 it was renamed Kitayama Hommon-ji and the school connected with it became the Hommon (Essential Teaching) school. In 1941 it merged into the Minobu school in response to a government order. –Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The mainstream account of the founding of Omosu Temple and Seminary differs radically from that taught in America by SGI and Nichiren Shoshu. Unfortunately, the Nichiren Shoshu version is widely accessible in English, so it appears to a casual reader to be “mainstream.” Meanwhile, the actual mainstream view has largely been pieced together in English by Independent and often amateur researchers.
SGI and NST have been somewhat disingenuous about the entire matter. They made it appear that the Honmonji Temple at Omosu was a mere Seminary that belonged to Taisekiji. SGI’s “Great Dictionary of Buddhist Philosophy (the 3rd edition)” modifies that position. Translation from KK:
Omosu: Omosu Village of Fuji District of Suruga Province. Today’s Kitayama in Fujinomiya City of Sizuoka Prefecture. After one year since Nikko Shonin left Minobu, Taisekiji was founded on the twelfth day of the tenth month in the third year of Sho-ou (1290). Next day the Law was entrusted from Nikko Shonin to Nichimoku Shonin. [the Ozagawari Gohonzon was inscribed and transferred to Nichimoku Shonin].
At the request of the steward, Ishikawa Magozaburo Yoshitada, of the next village, Omosu, Miei-do of Nichiren Daishonin and Suijaku-do of Tensho Daijin were built at Omosu on the fifteenth day of the second month in the sixth year of Ei-nin (1298).
Nikko Shonin moved to Omosu at this occasion and instructed students and tried to train disciples (the opening of Seminary). Soon he appointed Jakusen-bo Nitcho who had broke with Niko and came to him to the first chief instructor. After Nitcho died young, he appointed San-mi Nichijun to the second chief instructor. In this way he promoted the learning of Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism and make efforts to study it. A lot of disciples gathered around him. The disciples in Taisekiji also, old and young, walked two kilo meters to and from Nikko Shonin. Omosu Seminary together with other halls was called “the temple at Omosu” or “Omosu” from its location.
At the beginning two temples were united as one. In the fourteenth year of Bun-mei (1482) there occured a debate about the heritage of the Law between Taisekiji and Koizumi Kuonji*. Nichijo of Omosu gave his approval to Kuonji and became agaist Taisekiji. In the twelfth year of Ei-sho (1515), Nikkoku of Omosu named the temple ‘Honmonji’ under the permission of Imagawa Ujichika (the feudal lord of Suruga province –K.K) and became Komon sect of Nichiren Shu (‘Komon’ means the disciples of Nikko –K.K).
In the thirty-second year of Meiji (1899) the sect was renamed as ‘Honmon Shu’. They call their temple ‘Kitayama Honmonji’ from its location. Since the sixteenth year of Showa (1941) it has been united with Minobu Sect of Nichiren Shu. (from SGI’s Great Dictionary of Buddhist Philosophy, the 3rd edition)
From: Kawai Kazuo > Date: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:02 pm
This is considerably different than the Nichiren Shoshu version of history that SGI parroted in the “Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism.” Still, contrast that revised SGI version with this from the Kitayama Honmonji web-site:
“Nikko Shonin left Minobu in December in the first year of Sho-ou(1288), the sixth anniversary of Nichiren Daishonin’s death. He moved to Ueno at the invitation by Nanjo Tokimitsu and made a hermitage at Oishi-ga-hara in October in the third year of Sho-ou (1291–this is wrong. correctly 1290, K.K).
But he loved the scenery of Omosu Maruyama and was donated a piece of land by two stewards, Ishikawa Yoshitada of Omosu and Najo tokimitsu of Ueno. Then he began the construction with the help of Hokke believers in Ueno and Koizumi(a place name –K.K) in the first year of Ei-nin (1293). In the sixth year of Ei-nin(1298), Hondo(the main hall), Mieido(the Image hall) and Suijakudo(a kind of hall –K.K) were built.
They hung out the tablet written “Hokke Honmonji Kongen”(‘Kongen’ means ‘root’–K.K) meaning that the temple was the root to achieve the building of the Honmon Kaidan (ordination platform–K.K) which was the oath of Nichiren Daishonin. Nikko Shonin who spent thirty-six years in this temple, raised Omosu Dansho (Seminary–K.K) and tried to educate young men and to spread daimoku until his death on the seventh day of the second month in the third year of Gen-ko(1333), at the age of eighty-eight.” from CP of Kitayama Honmonji, originally in Japanese.
From: Kawai Kazuo > Date: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:13 am
SGI seems to have scrapped the Nichiren Shoshu claim that Kitayama/Omosu was a mere sub-temple Seminary of Taisekiji, that ‘rebelled’ in 1483. The revised SGI account admits that “Hokke Honmoji Kongen” was, from the start, a separate Temple from Taisekiji, but still has the two more interdepedent than Kitayama’s own account.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Koizumi Kuonji. Koizumi was/is a town near Ueno & Omosu. Nichigo built a Temple there. It may have been the original Renzo-bo. Koizumi Kuonji is not related to Minobusan Kuon-ji. The 1482 debate was Taisekiji {Nichiu} and Nishiyama Honmon-ji-{Nichigen} versus Kitayama Honmon-ji & Koizumi Kuon-ji. Nichigen & Nichiu were proponents of an early form of Nichiren as True Buddha Doctrine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~